Saturday, December 21, 2013

Little Red Suitcase Ornament

Amanda had a little red suitcase. She brought it when she came to visit me. It was the old-school kind with hard sides. She loved it. Earlier this spring, I had to teach a class for work about hosting craft programs in the library, which required a lot of internet research for upcycled crafts because most libraries don't have a lot of money to work with for staff and books, let alone programming. When I came across the idea of converting Altoid tins into suitcases, I knew I had to make one for Amanda. Not only would it be the perfect ornament, it would also give me a reason to use the colored duct tape sheets I'd seen at Hobby Lobby. I also happened to have a mini Altoid tin in my purse. The execution was remarkable; it turned out exactly how I anticipated it would in my mind, which doesn't always happen. I printed tiny destination images of places Amanda has been on sticker paper, including both our states.





Of course, once I came up with this idea, I executed it right away, even though it was only February. Fast forward to August, when Amanda tells me she's given away her red suitcase to a friend. My first thought was, "But what about my ornament!?" However, it then occurred to me that it would still be a nice memento, perhaps even more so now that it will serve as reminder.

Finished size: 1.5" x 2.5"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...