Sunday, September 27, 2009

Yo-Yo Pumpkin Tutorial

Here's what we'll be making today:


Materials:
  • 1/4 yard each of two coordinating orange fabrics
  • Needle and thread
  • Scissors and pen
  • Circular templates in the following sizes: 4", 5", 6", 7"
  • Hot glue gun
  • 1/8" dowel
  • 1/2" spool
  • 1" disc
  • Brown paint and brush
  • Fake leaves

Step 1: For one pumpkin, cut one 7" circle and two 5" circles out of one fabric, and two 6" and two 4" circles out of the other fabric. For two pumpkins, cut one 7" circle and two of all the other size circles out of each fabric.

Step 2: Here are the wooden pieces I used:


Cut the dowel into a 2.75" length. Stick a spool on the dowel and and paint it brown, going a little way down the dowel. I cut slits in a cereal box so they could dry standing up.


Step 3: While the paint is drying, make the yo-yos. Don't tie off the 4" yo-yos, as you'll need to open them later. Here are the yo-yos you'll need for one pumpkin:


Here's a handy yo-yo tutorial.

Step 4: Once the paint is dry, remove the spool from the dowel and glue the dowel to a disc.


Step 5: Place the disc inside a 4" yo-yo and tie the yo-yo closed.


Step 6: Poke holes in the bottom of the rest of the yo-yos.


Step 7: Stack the yo-yos on the dowel in this order: 5", 6", 7", 6", 5", 4". If you are making two pumpkins, make sure to alternate the fabrics. Replace the spool.


Step 8: Pluck a set of leaves off a fake plant.


Snip off the extra plastic (leaves on left) used to attach the leaves to their stem so it will lay flatter against the dowel.


Step 9: Glue the leaves to the dowel below the spool. Tie the yo-yo closed, and you are done!

Original pumpkin post.

This tutorial is now also posted at:

8 comments:

  1. This is so cute!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-yo-yo-pumpkin/2009/10/06/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! What a creative way to use yo-yos. I also love the name of your blog :) I have two cats but they stay outside most of the time and want nothing to do with me until mealtime. So do they even count? Guess I'm still a crafter with cats...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is so cute! I featured it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingenious! I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute. I've seen pumpkins made from all sorts of things but never yo-yos. Even with my limited sewing skills, I can make yo-yos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your pumpkin! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/yo-yo-pumpkin/

    If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a cute project idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't quite understand your comment about making two pumpkins. Wouldn't you just cut twice the number of circles that you'd cut for one pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you would need twice the number of circles. I used two fabrics and alternated them, so some pumpkins had fabric A in the center, and some pumpkins had fabric B in the center. If you just want to use one fabric, or make them all the same, then it wouldn't matter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...