Sunday, April 15, 2018

Baby Triangles, Version 2


I try to avoid making the same quilt twice, but I had a lot of fabric left over from last year's triangle baby quilt. Having bought it leading up to moving, I erred on the side of caution and bought more than I thought I'd need. Conveniently, my sister's friend was expecting a girl and using the same colors for her nursery, and the triangle design just comes together so quickly, plus I had leftover triangles already cut. I used up most of the peach fabrics, so I had to sub in a few fabrics Julie eliminated from her palette. I was worried it wouldn't look as good, but I like the darker pink.

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Barbie Dress


A lot of Claire's Barbie clothes are made of shiny material that frays easily, and there is usually a bit of mending for me to do when I visit. I wasn't looking forward to making an entire outfit, but one purple dress was coming apart so badly that I couldn't fix it. I brought it home and took it completely apart to use as a pattern. I wasn't sure how well it would fit, but it ended up fitting well enough. It's not particularly snug, but it's not too loose either, and a bit too big is better than a bit too small.

Barbie is also sporting a pink tulle veil Claire requested.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Fabric Easter Egg



Oh, the joy of twins! You get to make two of everything at the same time, instead of going back three years later and making a second of everything you made the first kid. This egg is for my newest niece. It matches her quilt. I actually thought about making an egg before I thought about making a matching Christmas ornament. This time, I realized we had a metal nail file, so I had a better tool for stuffing the fabric into the Styrofoam.

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Dresden Plates Quilt



I made these three Dresden plates before we moved last year, so I was motivated to make this quilt my first project of the year. I only had enough scraps for three Dresden plates, so my first task was figuring out what to do to fill in the rest of the quilt top. Though the design is simple, it still took a bit of calculating to figure out appropriately scaled dimensions for everything, but it came together quickly after that. I have never appliqued a quilt top, so I got some Heat'n'Bond to adhere the Dresden plates to the quilt top before sewing them down. I was very glad I did this before quilting.

Saturday, February 3, 2018

Barbie Suitcases


My sister told me that Claire has been sending Barbie on vacation to Disney World, so she needed a suitcase. I told her I could totally make one, as I have experience making tiny suitcases. I just needed some Altoids tins and duct tape sheets. As it turned out, duct tape sheets were on clearance for $0.25 so I stocked up because that is quite a deal and a sign that I soon won't be able to find them. I got pink and rainbow. I couldn't decide on the size so I made two. The big tin is 3.75 x 2.5 x 0.75 inches and the small tin is 2.5 x 1.5 x 0.5 inches. The small tin is more Barbie sized, but the larger tin can actually hold Barbie clothes more easily. I got a 3 pack of the small tins in case multiple Barbies need suitcases; and it turns out she does, because Barbie has 3 sisters, so they are getting rainbow suitcases.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...